Monday, May 4, 2015

My trip to the Fowler Museum

Crazy Stick Man 
This past week I was able to make it over to the Fowler Museum. This was my second time to the museum and it was cool to see that all of the exhibits had changed. This museum is an interesting one because it is right on campus yet many students don't know about it. I will give the the students who are south campus majors a break because they would never venture his far on to north campus but everyone else has no excuse. My freshman year I had a class in the basement of the building the Fowler is located in and I had no idea that that it was upstairs.
The Nice Security Guard 

I really enjoyed going to this museum because of how different all the exhibits are foreman another. By far the most interesting exhibit in the building was a collection of outfits made out of some pretty weird items. Two of these outfits stood out to me, the first was a top and bottom made completely out of surgical masks. The artist did such a good job in creating it that I did not know it was made out of masks. The second outfit that I thought was really cool was a dress. It wasn't any dress but rather one made out of purses and luggage. I liked it because it actually looked like a dress that you could wear but one you looked at it closer you realize they dress had to weigh close to 50 pounds.

 #1 Museum Fan 
The other exhibit I really enjoyed had different items made out of silver. They had collections of cups and plates but one item sold above the rest. It was a silver replica of a tall ship made entirely out of silver. The detail on this ship was crazy, it looked as if it was a real ship and it even had little silver men and canons on it. This ship had to be worth a ton of money, the amount of work that must have gone into it is through the roof.

Overall I really enjoyed this museum. I like that each exhibit that you go into is cray different from the others. It gives you a good sense of what's going on in the world. I am definitely going to swing by again before the year is over to see what they have next. It would be cool to see some art that had to do with UCLA but that's just my opinion. For my final visit I am deciding between the Getty and the Griffith Observatory, I am leaning towards the Getty because I've been there once and it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment